Program Description and Purpose
Established in 2010, the NALCAB Colegio Community Economic Development Fellowship (NALCAB Colegio) is a program designed to ensure next generation Latino leaders develop the practical, personal, and professional skills needed to fill the increasing leadership gap in community economic development nonprofit organizations serving low to moderate-income Latino communities across the country. The mission of the NALCAB Colegio is to support the next generation of Latino leaders in the asset building field through leadership and technical training, as well as establishing peer networks throughout the country.
NALCAB seeks motivated individuals who demonstrate creativity and a strong desire to further their knowledge of community economic development strategies currently in use around the country. Previous NALCAB Colegio recipients have held a variety of positions within the nonprofit community development field, including:
- Program Coordinators and Directors
- Directors of Fund Development
- Project Managers
- Community Organizers
Fellows are required to participate in all NALCAB Colegio trainings and webinars, including select NALCAB events and specialized trainings. This program requires considerable commitment, and is not recommended for candidates going through a personal or professional transition.
Sessions are held on a monthly basis through a serious of webinars and three in-person trainings. Please download the 2013 Fellowship Application Packet (PDF) for a detailed timeline.
Session topics include:
- Understanding Your Leadership Style
- Learning to Advocate your Impact
- National Context: “State of Latinos”
- Innovative Programs and Practices in Asset Building: Family wealth building, small business development, supporting micro-entrepreneurs, and affordable housing.
- Nonprofit Management
All fellows will complete a Community Development Leadership Project (Leadership Project) that addresses an organizational need or challenge within the scope of their organization’s mission. The Leadership Project will be developed throughout the fellowship experience and will culminate in a presentation during the NALCAB Colegio’s third and final in-person training event.
Applicants must meet the following criteria to be eligible for the NALCAB Colegio Community Economic Development Fellowship:
- Emerging Latino/a leader with two to eight years of professional work experience in the Community Economic Development field.
- Individuals must currently be employed in nonprofits dedicated to community economic development. A limited number of slots are available to employees of financial institutions at a higher contribution level.
- Demonstrate leadership and dedication to community service/engagement with a strong commitment to Latino/a issues and a passion to serve low to moderate income Latino communities.
- Exhibit commitment to participate in ALL NALCAB Colegio trainings, webinars, special events, and complete a Community Development Leadership Project.
- Have the support of their current organization to participate in the NALCAB Colegio.
Applications are now being accepted for the 2013 NALCAB Colegio Community Economic Development Fellowship and should be received no later than midnight PST on March 7, 2013.
The NALCAB Colegio Fellowship class of 2013 will launch with a weeklong kick-off at NALCAB’s 2013 National Conference from April 15 – 18 in Charlotte, NC. Subsequent in-person trainings are tentatively scheduled for July and October 2013.
Complete Applications must include:
- 2013 Fellowship Application Packet (PDF)
- Personal Statements
- Current resume with job titles, education, and community involvement/honors
- One paragraph bio with photo to be used on our fellowship webpage if selected
- Letter of support from your organization’s executive leadership, acknowledging required fellowship travel and time commitment over the program period.
To view the PDF file on this page click on the following link to download the free version of Adobe Reader.
(210) 227-1010 Ext. 1009