With funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), NALCAB provides project-based and organizational technical assistance, capacity building services, and loans to community economic development projects, in rural communities in 12 states. The Rural Capacity Building (RCB) program enhances the capacity and ability of local governments, Indian tribes, housing development organizations, rural community development corporations (CDCs), and rural community housing development organizations (CHDOs/RHDOs), to carry out community development and affordable housing activities that benefit low- and moderate-income families in rural areas. Technical Assistance (TA) is delivered free of charge by NALCAB and expert consultant partners, and is customized to the specific needs of recipient organization.
Technical Assistance Services
The NALCAB Rural Capacity Building Program provides a variety of technical assistance services to meet the diverse needs of rural communities. The types of Technical Assistance services that NALCAB can provide include, but are not limited to:
- Strategic planning
- Organizational sustainability planning
- Resource development, including applying for federal grants
- Preparing community needs assessments
- Project financing and development
- Program design and development
- Community and stakeholder engagement
- Building partnerships or coalitions
- Leadership development
- Staff and/or board member training
- Identifying and promoting effective policies and practices
- Managing crises: risk management and crisis response planning
- Managing government and private grant funds
- Outcome measurement
- Management or information data systems
- Obtaining CDC or CHDO designation
For more information on the NALCAB Rural Capacity Building Program and how to apply, please consult the latest Notice of Availability of Technical Assistance Funding for the NALCAB RCB Program below. If your organization is interested in receiving TA services under the NALCAB RCB Program please submit a “Request for Technical Assistance.” Upon review, NALCAB will contact eligible organizations to submit a full application.
NALCAB TA has supported a variety of projects ranging from farm labor housing to rural Main street development and community lending to local food-based economic development projects. Here are a few examples of past recipient projects under the NALCAB RCB Program:
- The RCB TA program helped a rural CDC develop scenarios for restructuring the financing on a burdensome commercial property and convene funders who could help them implement strategies. As a result of the assistance, they are now closing on a USDA loan that will help them become a more financially sustainable organization.
- Through the TA process, a rural housing corporation was able to develop capacity as a Certified Development Financial Institution (CDFI). The TA helped the organization develop new policies and procedures for effective lending activities, increase their staff capacity, hire a licensed loan officer, and initiate a new loan servicing software program.
- In assisting an agricultural education nonprofit, NALCAB RCB TA helped the organization to secure the financial resources necessary to build and operate a commercial kitchen.
Eligible rural areas are all non-Urbanized Areas with populations smaller than 50,000. Use the USDA property eligibility tool (http://eligibility.sc.egov.usda.gov/eligibility/) to verify your organization’s rural eligibility.Rural government, tribal, and non-profit affordable housing providers, and community and economic development entities from the following states are eligible to request TA services and loans:
- New Mexico
- North Carolina
Additional NALCAB Services for Rural Areas
For more information about NALCAB’s Rural Capacity Building Program and Technical Assistance services, please contact Laura Furst at email@example.com
Interested in learning more? Check out this webinar: